Sunday, April 1, 2007

Ave Avril

And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
Rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.
~Shelley

Everything around me is beautiful. This is my favorite time of the year. It is still slightly cold, and the evenings are chilly, but the days are temperate, and the mornings dewy. I often wish that the year began with the onset of spring, rather than in dismal, cold January! The Roman year began on the ides of March. The astrological and Persian new years both start on the Spring Equinox. That the new year should coincide with new life seems so much more beautiful and appropriate. I would love to start each year feeling as I do today! Today is the first of April. It is also the third day of the third moon. The Chinese eat azalea cakes on this day. I ate buttered toast and drank tea, but it was just as delightful.

No comments: